Saturday, May 23, 2009

Day One in my quest to train for the 5 mile run on August 8, 2009

Okey Dokey! I did it!!

I walked/jogged for 30:01 minutes. Here is the breakdown:

10 minutes @ 3 mph
1 minute @ 5 mph
9 minutes @ 3 mph
1 minute @ 5 mph
8 1/2 minutes @ 3 mph
30 seconds @ 1.5 - 1.0 to cool down

I felt good and my heart rate did not go over 161 which is perfect. I think the ratio is 210 - age (41) = rate.

I had a pivotal moment last night which spurred (word ?) me into action. I have been overweight for over a year. But last night I was sitting next to my son and he pat my stomach and it jiggled. Like jello. Not good! I remember reading in Cosmo a long time ago that a characteristic of a Libra is a softly rounded belly. Nothing about jello...

When I did the wedding on the 9th, I grabbed a flyer (mentioned before, I believe) for a 5 mile run. I asked my son if he wanted to give it a go with me. He said yes so this week I went to Big 5 and bought him a pair of running shoes (I already have a pair) socks, shorts and a shirt all made out of the wicking away material for both of us.

I am proud of myself and it went faster than it has before. 30 minutes can take forever sometimes!! It went faster probably because the girls were entertaining me (they are my nieces and they live with me) and my son put on some dance music for me. He is going to exercise later tonight.

I will walk again tomorrow but walk/run on Monday. I have been reading that you should not run for 2 days in a row when you first start. Maybe I will try to jog for 2 minutes. or at least 1 1/2 minutes on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment